Wednesday, February 6, 2008

One whole month!




My weekend with Thomas in town was so nice! We spent all of Saturday together. We met up with three more Americans and went to the Notre Dame. Thomas hadn't been to Paris so it was really fun to be with him during his first trip--he was so giddy and excited. We toured around a bit--Hotel de Ville, le Louvre, le Jardin des Tuileries and that area. That night we met up with my girl friends near the Bastille for dinner at the Bastille Pub. It was so good! (like any meal has been bad...well except when I ate at the University Restaurant next to AUP...that was bad) I had a salad, steak and potatoes, and chocolate mousse for dessert. The girls and I continued on to a few bars, met a nice Frenchman named Jean and talked to with him and his friends for awhile. Jean even asked me for my 0-6 ("zero six:" slang for a cell phone number because they all start with 06).
The next morning I met Thomas and another friend from Tulane, Brennan, in Montmartre. We had lunch at a really nice restaurant (well Thomas did) and just walked around taking pictures of the Moulin Rouge and being cutesy tourists. They left from there and I went to Les Deux Moulins, the café in Amélie!! It was awesome. I had a café créme and made my Paris to-do list: all things I must do before I leave. A few have stars next to them if I want to do them with Roxy/ my mom, dad, Di and Tom when they come.
That night was Super Bowl Sunday aux ´Etats-Unis...don't worry we still celebrated in Paris. Two kids in my program, Jaclyn and Justin are from New York. We all met at The Moose, a Canadian Bar in the Latin Quarter at 10 p.m. for 1 a.m. local game time. I am pretty sure every American in Paris was at this bar...no joke. It was delightfully packed and the crowd was wild. Jaclyn and Justin were really fun to watch the game with...Jaclyn cried when the Giants won. A few of us girls danced during the Tom Petty half-time show, obvi. It was hilarious. We caught the 5:30 a.m. Metro home the next morning...
Last night was Mardi Gras. It was bitter sweet being here and not in New Orleans. Hayley, Amy and Audrey were sweethearts and shared a bottle of wine with me at this bar near the Bastille (J'aime beaucoup the area around the Bastille).
Tonight we went on a tour of the Montparnasse cafés where famous writers and painters used to meet and dream up masterpieces. Montparnasse became famous at the beginning of the 20th century, referred to as "les Années Folles (the Crazy Years)", when it was the heart of intellectual and artistic life in Paris. Between 1921 and 1924, the number of Americans in Paris expanded from 6,000 to 30,000. The cafés we visited, Le Dôme, La Closerie des Lilas, La Rotonde, Le Select, the Dingo Bar and La Coupole are all still in business and were frequented by Picasso, Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein. We even saw Picasso's house! It was a really nice tour.
I am hoping to go to a jazz club tomorrow night. I will let you know how that goes:)

No comments: