Monday, March 3, 2008

Patine sur la Glace à l'Hôtel de Ville


Saturday I went on a run around Jardin des Plantes, then met Hayley and Amy à l'Hôtel de Ville to go ice skating! We rented ice skates, even though Amy is like a pro or something. She has been ice skating all her life and has won all sorts of competitions and tried out for big shows and things. She was all upset she didn't have her ice skates because she couldn't skate as well and pull as many tricks. Hayley and I spent most of our time on the wall or holding Amy's hand to stay up. It was a bright warm day and they were playing Rihanna, Justin Timberlake and other American pop singers over loud speakers. The ice was melting really bad so there was a layer of water on top of the ice that was a little scary but still fun. We definitely made a spectacle clutching each other and scooting around the edge of the rink.
We then went inside l'Hôtel de Ville to see a photograph exposition, "Paris la Métisse." It was all photos of Paris and each one had the arrondissement distinguished on the placard. Everything from little kids painting in a park to a couple kissing on a bridge to a homeless man sleeping on the streets. They were all in black and white and very pretty.
Saturday night, I went to Amy's house because she made dinner. Her host family was supposed to be out of town but they surprised her by coming home early. Liliann, the wife, is friends with my Madame, but they are on the outs right now. Liliann asked me all these questions about Madame (like "what do you think the problem is in her family?") and of course I didn't know what to say. Finally, the couple went to a movie and Amy and I had a nice dinner of pasta and vegetables, salad, cheese, bread and wine. We met my friend Lauren Kelley from Tulane that night and went out dancing around Chatelet.
Sunday I went to Hayley's house for lunch. The lady she lives with, Laura, is a sweetheart and invited me over. She made couscous (she used to live in Algeria) and invited her Muslim son over. It was really good but she insisted we eat so much! She is a classic grandma figure so sweeeet and constantly giving us food. After lunch, she insisted I stay and take a nap there so I wouldn't be home alone in my apt. Hayley and I watched "Juno" and then went out just the two of us. We ended up meeting 4 American boys who are MBA students at WIlliam and Mary College and hung out with them all evening.

No comments: